Wednesday, May 07, 2008

QSWW Prelude! Quit Smoking and Weight Watching Article Series.

I promised a while ago to write about my giving up smoking and consequent weight gain and what I am doing about it. Giving up smoking is one of the best things that happened to me and that has given me courage to more things, because "I Know I Can". It reflects through out your life. I did not stop smoking for a long time because I was so scared that I would not be able to without it.
I knew I was addicted to it because I would make sure that I had my cigarettes with me where ever I went, I smoked when I was hungry, I smoked when I was angry, I smoked when I was cold, I smoked when I was sad, I smoked when I was tired, I smoked to stay up late, I smoked to not fall asleep while driving long distance, basically I smoked for every reason and more. Even though I loved traveling, I dreaded being in an air plane for few hours without a cigarette. So I had every reason not to stop smoking. But finally I got tired of the control, nicotine had over me.
So one fine Friday, November 24th of 2006, with a glass of cognac I smoked my last cigarette. I had opened a pack of cigarette containing 20 that evening and had smoked two earlier. Now three of them gone, the balance sits in a framed box with miniature replica guns.
The talks about not being able to stop smoking are all bull, at least to me. I have smoked for over a 25 years and never tried to stop smoking before and the first try it worked. I was and am mad at myself for not trying before. Also remember, I also had a open box of cigarettes right in the house, all the time. It is just how much you want to do it.
So set up a time to stop, do not think of trying to stop. You do not need to try, because you are going to stop! After the initial shock that your body gets and when you recover, everything else becomes easy.
You will be proud of yourself! I am going to preach this over and over hoping this will inspire someone to stop smoking. Next time I will write about the first day without a cigarette. Until then read the next article that I got from JAMA about Smoking. It is very educational.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin