Thursday, December 06, 2007

Health Advice On YouTube To Be Taken With Care

A group of researchers from University of Toronto have uncovered widespread misinformation in health related videos on YouTube. In the first-ever study of its kind, the team of researchers Kumanan Wilson and Jennifer Keelan analyzed 153 videos about vaccination and immunization on YouTube, a popular online video-sharing site. Researchers found that more than half of the videos portrayed childhood, HPV, flu and other vaccinations negatively or ambiguously. Of those videos, a staggering 45 per cent contained messages that contradict the 2006 Canadian Immunization Guide, which provides national guidelines for immunization practices. This immunization guide is very similar to one for USA.
So if you are looking for health information on YouTube or any other site, including this one, take it with care. Only your doctor could give you a better advice. If you are not happy with your doctors advise go to another for for second opinion. I have my own opinions on my health and yet I confer with my doctor, with everything that is health related.
You can read more about the report at JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association. . I got my information from University of Toronto it self.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin